Start right here! Wine 101 was developed to help wine enthusiasts such as yourself get a foothold on tasting. This section has been organized to guide you from general concepts of a wine’s appearance, aroma, and flavor, on to more complicated concepts that can affect a particular wine’s dynamics.
Begin by asking yourself: what do you like about wine? Envision your favorite experiences drinking wine, what foods you may have especially enjoyed with it, and overall why you prefer wine to other alcoholic drinks. At the same time, think about negative experiences you have had. These can be just as helpful in identifying what you do and don’t like in a wine.
- Read through Wine 101.
- Try your hand at our tasting notes service.
- Read some books on tasting wine.
- Visit wineries.
- Talk with the winemakers.
- Talk with your friends – use what resources you have to make this a learning process for you and others you interact with.
- Start small, build on these ideas, and soon you’ll be off in no time, writing world-class notes!