Oregon Wine and Food Pairing
This is a puréed soup generally made from potatoes, leeks and chicken broth. An excellent introduction to a main dish, accompanied well by Oregon white wines.
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sliced leeks or chopped white onion
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- A sprinkling of white or black pepper
1. In a medium saucepan cook the leeks or onion in butter until tender (not brown). Stir in the potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove and let cool slightly.
2. Place the potato mixture in a blender. Process until smooth. Pour it into a bowl and stir in the milk and cream. If necessary, add additional milk to achieve your desired consistency.
3. Cover and chill before serving with snipped chives on top of each dish.
Serves 4 side dishes.
OregonWines.com suggests serving the following types of wine while enjoying Vichyssoise. Click on a wine type to search our database for matching wines.
||A light, aromatic, wine with flavors of apple, pear, apricot, and other fruits, and with yellow to pale straw hues.|
||A light, dry wine with fruity, grassy flavors, and light yellow hues.|